BUnow News


Opinion and Editorial

What Gets the Automatic Left Swipe on Tinder

Tinder’s  become one of the newest and most popular online dating Apps. According to Dating Site Review.com, men swipe “like” on a woman’s profile on average 46 percent of the time. Women swipe “like” on a man’s profile on average only 14 percent of the time. But what makes women swipe left the other 86 percent of the time?

You’re Smoking in Your First Picture. Whether it’s smoking a cigarette or a bong, this can be a HUGE turnoff to many women. This can say many different things when a woman first sees it. She might think that you’ll end up giving her lung cancer from secondary smoke or she could think that you think somehow it makes you more attractive…but it doesn’t.

tinder smoking

You Have Women Hanging all Over You. What would make a girl quickly want to get to know you if you appear to have girls hanging on both of your arms? It’s a dating app guys, so you’re on there because you’re single…take your player image somewhere else.

His First Picture is a Car. Last time I checked we use Tinder to attempt to find a significant other…if we wanted to look at cars we would go to the car dealership .

tinder car

You Have the Typical Myspace Tool Bag Looking Picture. If you’re standing in the mirror, straight flexing, you’re really not impressing anyone. If you’re shirtless while surfing or playing basketball, that makes it a whole different story.

Your Bio is a Bunch of BS. Don’t try to beef up your bio by making it seem like you’re something you’re not. Based on the bio and picture, it becomes quite easy for women to see right through your fabricated bio.

tinder bs

Total Catfish. If your bio says you’re a model, and your picture has a male with abs that look like you could melt butter on them…Left. It’s easy to see when a man on Tinder is too perfect to be real. Therefore, we quickly swipe left because we don’t want to have to search for Nev and Max’s help when we become flustered and heartbroken over you.

Who are You? I feel like it’s extremely confusing when the first picture, followed by the second picture, is a group of men. Which one is actually you? If it takes me more than the first two pictures and I still can’t figure out which one is you, you’re getting the left swipe.

tinder group

Looks. Unfortunately, the idea of looks not being incredibly important doesn’t necessarily work with online dating, especially Tinder. As shallow as it sounds, if the pictures you choose to display don’t automatically enhance my interest…I’m probably going to swipe left.

Your Age. Occasionally we all find those people on Tinder who are well outside of our ideal age range. But another thing is: don’t lie about your age! If your bio says you’re 23, but you look like you haven’t hit puberty yet…LEFT!

tinder age

Moral of the story, make sure you’re putting your best “foot” forward; post pictures and a bio that describes you accurately. Don’t try to be anyone you’re not .


My names Kendyl. I'm a senior at Bloomsburg University. I am studying Mass Communications with a track in Public Relations. I'm a big supporter of our Bloomsburg Huskies athletics especially basketball and lacrosse!