BU students are invited to nominate an outstanding senior for the annual Syed R. Ali-Zaidi Award for Academic Excellence, sponsored by the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Foundation.
Ali-Zaidi, a charter member of PASSHE’s Board of Governors, established the award to inspire and honor System students who excel in the pursuit of knowledge. The 2012 award recipient will receive a medallion and $1,000; two semi-finalists will receive $500.
You may nominate yourself or another senior no later than Wednesday, Nov. 30. The nomination packet should contain:
• A two-page essay written by the nominee addressing how the university prepared him or her for the next career step and what that next step will be
• The nominee’s latest transcript (a copy is acceptable)
• The nominee’s vita or resume
• Two letters of recommendation, preferably from university faculty
Nominations will be evaluated on:
• Outstanding academic performance in the academic major and other areas of study
• Recognition of scholarship by members of the university faculty
• Participation in extra/co-curricular activities during undergraduate years
• The quality of the nominee’s essay
BU President David Soltz will select one nominated senior as the university’s representative and write a nomination letter to the PASSHE selection committee. The award recipient and semi-finalists will be honored at their universities’ commencement ceremonies.
To nominate yourself or another outstanding senior, send the nomination packet to Debra Mucci, BU’s planning and assessment office (112 Waller Administration Building), email@example.com, no later than Wednesday, Nov. 30.