BUnow News


News & Politics

Car chase leaves one Boston Bombing suspect dead and other on the loose

According to CNN, police officials sealed off densely populated areas of Boston metro areas early Friday morning after a violent night of chasing the Boston Marathon Bombing suspects. The chase left one of the suspects and a police officer dead.

FBI say that the two suspects were brothers. Nineteen-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and 26-year-old Tamerian Tsarnaev. The men were from Chechnya, Russia, but they have been living in the U.S. for at least a decade and have a college education. Although motive for the attacks have not yet been established, Chechnya is the largest Islamic nation which after 9/11, had the largest and fastest amount of support for Al-Qaeda. There is some speculation as to whether or not this was a major factor for the incident. However, at this time police only know where the brothers were from and not their religious affiliation but that they¬†are extremely religious, therefore we can not determine if this was the main motive. The boys’ family was shocked when they found out that the brothers had been involved. Their father also said that neither of them have any experience with weapons nor do they have any connection with terrorist groups. Family and friends were also shocked by these series of events due to the fact that the men seemed to love everything about America and enjoyed living in the U.S. Although the boys loved America, evidence shows that they did not have any American friends and say that they didn’t understand them.

The violence began late Thursday night after a robbery of a 7/11 convenience store. Soon after, in Cambridge, at MIT University police officer was fatally shot while sitting in his car. Police do believe that the bombing suspects are responsible for this shooting. The two suspects, according to authorities, hijacked a car at gunpoint in Cambridge. They released the driver a half-hour later at a gas station.

As police picked up the chase, the people inside began to throw explosives out the window as well as tried shooting at the officers. Police fired back, fatally wounding one of the possible suspects. Tamerian Tsarnaev died at Beth Israel Hospital. According to officials, he suffered from a bullet wound and burns from the explosions. The second man, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, apparently fled on foot. At this time he is still at large. This confrontation took place in Watertown, Mass. about 10 miles west of Boston.

Richard H. Donohue Jr., 33, a three-year veteran of the transit system police force, was shot and wounded in the incident and taken to a hospital. The officer’s condition is not immediately known.

According to the Washington Post, FBI are now on a manhunt to take down Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. They believe that he is strapped with explosives and is highly dangerous. At this time officials are taking extra precautions in Watertown as well as nearby suburbs.

FBI are telling people to stay in their homes and stay off the streets. Check back for more updates and coverage as the story develops.

Cailley Breckinridge is a Senior at Bloomsburg University majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in Telecommunications. She is currently the Managing Editor. This is her sixth semester writing for BUnow.