News and Politics

Planned Parenthood Receiving Donations in Mike Pence’s Name

Mike Pence, the famously known uber-conservative, anti-reproductive rights, anti-gay Vice President-elect has made a whopping 72,000 + donations to Planned Parenthood since the shocking Nov. 8 election…

…sort of.

Americans from all over have been making donations to the non-profit health care-providing organization in Pence’s “honor.” The donators have donated in Pence’s name rather than their own to show the upcoming administration that they are up against strong, passionate people who are not ready to let Planned Parenthood die on their watch. Planned Parenthood has confirmed that their donation rate has significantly increased since the Nov. 8 election, perhaps due to citizens’ fear that the non-profit organization will soon be in trouble thanks to our new administration.

The donations have provided Planned Parenthood with a ton of support since the election, while simultaneously angering Pence, who is infamously against women’s rights. About 28% of the 260,000+ donations made to Planned Parenthood since the election have been in Pence’s name, and he will receive a thank-you note for each, as Planned Parenthood does with all of their donors.

Amy Schumer, comedian and feminist, took to Instagram to provide followers with information on how to donate to Planned Parenthood in Pence’s honor:

Pence has long been an enemy of Planned Parenthood due to his strong convictions against abortion, after all, an outstanding 2.9% of all of their services are abortions. The other 97.1% consists of STD testing and treatment, contraception, cancer screening and prevention, women’s health services such as pregnancy tests and prenatal care (yes, you read that correctly), and other health care. Pence signed eight anti-abortion laws in just four years of being Indiana’s governor, which is every one that came across his desk. He authored the first bill to defund Planned Parenthood back in 2011. Pence also co-sponsored a bill (luckily, not passed) that would have permitted federal funds to only be used for abortions where rape was “forcible.” Apparently, Mike Pence was not aware that all rapes are in fact, by definition, forced.

Pence is no stranger to protests. After Pence signed a law into action calling on all women who had abortions to provide a funeral or cremation for the fetus, he received numerous emails and phone calls from women updating him on their periods. This protest was called “Periods for Pence,” and it was rooted in this Facebook post by the group:

“Fertilized eggs can be expelled during a woman’s period without a woman even knowing that she might have had the potential blastocyst in her. Therefore, any period could potentially be a miscarriage without knowledge. I would certainly hate for any of my fellow Hoosier women to be at risk of penalty if they do not “properly dispose” of this or report it. Just to cover our bases, perhaps we should make sure to contact Governor Pence’s office to report our periods. We wouldn’t want him thinking that THOUSANDS OF HOOSIER WOMEN A DAY are trying to hide anything, would we? We can ALL CALL HIM AT 317-232-4567. REPORT THOSE PERIODS! You should really let him know, since he’s so concerned. It will only take a few minutes of your day, but it lets them face an undue and unjust burden, for a change!

I would love to hear about your calls–please post how it goes!”

Pence may hold office in the White House next month, but the American people, especially women, are not about to allow him to strip them of their rights or America of services provided by Planned Parenthood any time soon. The donations in Pence’s name are strong and counting.

We can only imagine that the American citizens, women in particular, will continue to take a stand against Pence and his anti-womens’ rights agenda. He and President-elect Donald Trump have an anti-immigration, anti-LGBTQ+, and anti-Muslim agenda planned for the future, and we can be sure, if the reactions are anything like those of the support for Planned Parenthood, we are in for four years of the American people showing their strength in numbers, all while ticking off Pence and Trump.




Senior Secondary Education English Major | Creative Writing & Education Technology Minor | Co-Managing Editor for