News and Politics

Listeria contamination in Sabra Hummus

sabrahummusThirty thousand cases of classic Sabra Hummus have been recalled due to samples of the hummus containing Listeria. The word itself sounds scary and the actual bacteria are too. It’s a bacterium that infects humans and other warm-blooded animals through contaminated foods. It’s found in soil and water, is carried by animals, and can live in a processing facility for an extended period of time. It’s so difficult to prevent because it can live and grow in cold temperatures unlike many other bacteria. The common sources are pre-prepared deli meats, raw milk, raw sprouts, meat spreads, soft cheeses made with unpasteurized milk, and refrigerated smoked seafood.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development found the Listeria monocytogenes after routine inspections were done at a Kroger in Port Huron March 30, according to Jennifer Holton, MDARD spokeswoman.

Another case of Listeria has just been found in Blue Bell ice cream. According to Blue Bell, theirBlue+Bell+Listeriosis_Sche Country Cookie, a cookie ice cream sandwich, has been recalled from supermarkets in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wyoming.

It is important to be able to identify symptoms related to Listeria in order to protect yourself. Symptoms of Listeria are usually fever, muscle aches, and gastrointestinal symptoms. The dehydration from the vomiting and diarrhea is serious and will often need to be treated in a hospital setting. In the case of the Blue Bell Country Cookie, three people have actually died and eight are hospitalized according to the Centers for Disease Control. It’s especially dangerous for older individuals, newborns, and people with an already weakened immune system so always be on the safe side and get checked

This month it’s hummus and ice cream; last month it was spinach. Never ignore any abnormal symptoms because infections like this can happen to anybody. Make sure you throw away these
products and wait for the green light to start buying them again. Better safe than sorry.