During the summertime, most families and travelers book their vacations at the beach. The salty ocean breeze, hot sand, and sunny rays make it a summer getaway.
Yet, I prefer staying in a lake area for a number of reasons.
A Better, Serene Atmosphere
Lakes often provide a tranquil and serene atmosphere, away from the hustle and bustle of crowded beaches. You can enjoy peaceful moments surrounded by nature, with calm waters and beautiful scenery.
Freshwater is often considered better for swimming than saltwater because it lacks the salt content that can cause skin and eye irritation, providing a more comfortable and enjoyable swimming experience for many individuals.
The waters at a lake are generally calmer than the ocean due to the smaller size and shallower depth of lakes, which reduces the formation of large waves and swells. Additionally, lakes are often surrounded by land or natural barriers that shield them from strong winds and wave action, contributing to a more relaxed water surface.
Plenty of people have grown up going to the “Jersey Shore”, Delaware, or Maryland beaches. The biggest downfall to places like these is how they fill with tourists and loud crowds.
Lake areas are often less crowded than beaches due to their typically smaller size and limited accessibility compared to popular coastal destinations. The absence of large tourist crowds at lakes provides a more peaceful and serene environment for visitors to enjoy recreational activities without feeling overcrowded.
More Recreational Activities
Lakes offer a wide range of recreational activities such as swimming, kayaking, fishing, and boating. These activities can be more accessible and enjoyable at a lake, with a more relaxed and less crowded environment compared to busy beaches.
There are various recreational activities that people can enjoy in a lake, including swimming, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding, fishing, boating, sailing, water skiing, jet skiing, and tubing.
Additionally, lakeside activities such as picnicking, hiking, camping, and wildlife watching are also popular among lake-goers.
Kayaking, paddle boarding, and fishing are my personal favorites.
Lakes are typically surrounded by lush vegetation and picturesque landscapes. They offer a unique blend of water and land, providing stunning views and opportunities for hiking, picnicking, and simply appreciating the natural beauty of the surroundings.
A lake area exhibits breathtaking natural beauty with its shimmering waters reflecting the surrounding landscapes. The picturesque scenery of a lake, often adorned with mountains, trees, and wildlife, creates a captivating and serene ambiance for visitors to immerse themselves in.
Cons of the Beach:
- Crowdedness: A crowded beach can be undesirable as it diminishes personal space, increases noise levels, and may hinder relaxation and enjoyment.
- Sand Everywhere: Sand is one of the most annoying aspects of the beach. It gets all in your swimsuit, all crevices, technology products, food, and wherever you can think of.
- Sunburn & Heat: Due to the lack of natural surroundings, the shore is open to bright blue skies and a lot of sun. This makes most days very hot and easy to burn.
- Limited Privacy: As previously stated, beaches are tourist traps. Wouldn’t it be nice to have fun in the sun without anyone else to bother you?
- Strong Waves & Currents: Although this may be a pro of the beach to catch some nice waves, sometimes people want to relax and float in still water. The beach is known for its strong waves and high tide which can hinder a trip.