Calling all seniors! There is still time to nominate yourself or someone you know for the annual Syed R. Ali-Zaidi Award for Academic Excellence.
The award was created to inspire and honor System students who excel in the pursuit of knowledge. The winner of the award will receive a medallion and $1,000, and the two semi-finalists will receive $500.
Friday, Nov. 1 is the last day to make a nomination.
Each nomination packet must include:
- An essay written by the nominee, addressing how the university prepared him or her for the next step and what that next step will be. The essay should not exceed two double-spaced pages, using 12 point type.
- The nominee’s latest transcript (a copy is acceptable)
- The nominee’s vita or resume
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from university faculty (the letters should provide specific details that offer insight into the nominee’s outstanding qualities including, but not limited to, information on the student’s research and co-curricular activities outside of the classroom
Nominations will be evaluated on:
- The quality of the nominee’s essay
- Outstanding performance in the academic major and other areas of study (current GPA, awards, publications, etc.)
- Recognition of scholarship by members of the university faculty
- Participation in extra/co-curricular activities during undergraduate years (involvement in student or community organizations and leadership positions held)
Bloomsburg University’s President David Soltz will choose one of the nominated seniors as the university’s representative and will send a nomination letter to the PASSHE selection committee.
Go ahead and nominate yourself or another senior! Nominations should be sent to Jessica Beaver, Office of Planning and Assessment, 2203 McCormick Human Services Center, email@example.com.