1. Anything that involves darkening your skin color, it is always racist.
Click here to read about Julian Hough’s blackface backlash
2. Native American cultural appropriation, especially if you try and make it look sexy
Click here to see some other celebs who wore cultures as costumes
3. Stereotypical Mexicans with a Sombrero, mustache, cigar etc.
This costume is still offered by Spirit Halloween in 2018, really?!
4. Sexy Immigration Officer
There are even sexier versions of this costume on Amazon
5. Sexy Characters Children characters such as Eleven from Stranger Things
Making children sexy is CREEPY.
6. Dead/Zombie Celebrities, definitely no Mac Miller zombies on campus please.
Definitely no Mac Miller zombies on campus please.
7. Any accused sexual predator, such as Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby – especially bad if you blackface to go as Cosby.
No costumes such as Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby – especially bad if you blackface to go as Cosby.
8. Any ethnicity that isn’t your own
E.g. Asian geisha girl, this is still cultural appropriation and insensitive to other peoples cultures and heritages
9. Transphobic costumes
Any Bruce/Caitlyn costumes will be offensive. Do not do it.
10. Any kind of terrorist or Nazi costume
Terrorism is not a joke. Therefore, it shouldn’t be a costume.
There are so many other funny and creative things to dress up as for Halloween, check out future articles from BU Now for ideas that are much better than these anyway!