Last night, the Edmonton Oilers defeated the L.A. Kings 2-1 to clinch their first Stanley Cup Playoff berth since 2006. Their 10-season long playoff drought was the longest active streak in the NHL.
Now, 2006 doesn’t seem that long ago but so much has changed since then. Let me show you some things, NHL related and non-NHL related, that were still around the last time Edmonton made it to the postseason:
- The Anaheim Ducks were still the Mighty Ducks
- NHL sensations Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were rookies
- Mario Lemieux was playing for the Penguins
- The Atlanta Thrashers were still an active NHL team
- Twitter was launched
- Facebook became open to the world
- People used iPod Nanos
- Kids wore Heelys shoes
- The number one television show was HBO’s “The Wire” (followed by NBC’s “The Office”)
- Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy” was the top song of the year
- “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” was the highest grossing movie
- Microsoft launched its own mp3 player: the Zune
So, a lot has changed since the days of ’06 but one thing is for sure, the Oilers are back in the hunt for the Stanley Cup.
Sources: BuzzFeed, Time.com, Google