BU students are invited to nominate an outstanding senior for the annual Syed R. Ali-Zaidi Award for Academic Excellence, sponsored by Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education Foundation. Ali-Zaidi, a charter member of the State System’s Board of Governors, established the award to inspire and honor System students who excel in the pursuit of knowledge. The 2015 award recipient will receive a medallion and $1,000; two semi-finalists will receive $500. Bloomsburg University has had two finalists for the award in the past several years.
You may nominate yourself or another senior no later than Friday, Nov. 7. The nomination packet must contain:
- An essay written by the nominee, addressing how the university prepared him or her for the next career step and what that next step will be. The essay should not exceed two double-spaced pages, using 12 point type.
- The nominee’s latest transcript (a copy is acceptable)
- The nominee’s vita or resume
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from university faculty
- The letters should provide specific details that offer insight into the nominee’s outstanding qualities including, but not limited to, information on the student’s research and co-curricular activities outside of the classroom
*Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Nominations will be evaluated on:
- The quality of the nominee’s essay
- Outstanding performance in the academic major and other areas of study
- Current GPA, awards, publications, etc.
- Recognition of scholarship by members of the university faculty
- Participation in extra/co-curricular activities during undergraduate years
- Involvement in student or community organizations and leadership positions held
BU President David Soltz will select one nominated senior as the university’s representative and write a nomination letter to the State System selection committee. The award recipient and semi-finalists will be honored at their universities’ commencement ceremonies.
To nominate yourself or another outstanding senior, send the nomination packet to Jessica Beaver, Office of Planning and Assessment, 2203 McCormick Human Services Center, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Friday, Nov. 7, at 4 p.m.