The deadline is quickly approaching to nominate an outstanding senior for the annual Syed R. Ali-Zaidi Award for Academic Excellence, sponsored by the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Foundation. Last year’s outstanding BU senior, Katherine Zimmerman, earned a $500 scholarship as a semi-finalist. The 2013 award recipient will receive a medallion and $1,000, and two semi-finalists will receive $500. Ali-Zaidi, a charter member of PASSHE’s Board of Governors, established the award to inspire and honor System students who excel in the pursuit of knowledge
As a BU student, you may nominate yourself or another senior no later than Thursday, Nov. 1. The nomination packet should contain:
- An essay written by the nominee addressing how the university prepared him or her for the next career step and what that next step will be. The essay should not exceed two double-spaced pages using 12 point type.
- The nominee’s latest transcript (a copy is acceptable)
- The nominee’s vita or resume
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from university faculty: The letters should provide specific details that offer insight into the nominee’s outstanding qualities including, but not limited to, information on the student’s research and co-curricular activities outside of the classroom
Nominations will be evaluated on:
- The quality of the nominee’s essay
- Outstanding performance in the academic major and other areas of study: Current GPA, awards, publications, etc.
- Recognition of scholarship by members of the university faculty
- Participation in extra/co-curricular activities during undergraduate years: Involvement in student or community organizations and leadership positions held
BU President David Soltz will select one nominated senior as the university’s representative and write a nomination letter to the PASSHE selection committee. The award recipient and semi-finalists will be honored at their universities’ commencement ceremonies.
To nominate yourself or another outstanding senior, send the nomination packet to Jessica Beaver, BU’s planning and assessment office, 115B Waller Administration Building, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Thursday, Nov. 1.